MONTGOMERY, Ala. ----- The No. 2 Auburn University at Montgomery men's tennis team concluded the 2013 AUM Spring Invitational with a pair of victories against ranked opponents, defeating No. 17 Graceland, 9-0, and No. 10 Xavier, 5-4, Sunday.
With the sweep, the Warhawks improved to 9-1 on the season. AUM has won its last eight matches, including its last seven against ranked opponents.
Against Graceland (4-4), the Warhawks dropped just eight games en route to sweeping doubles play.
In singles, Tim Hewitt, Miguel Grifol and Othmane Lalami rolled in straight sets, while Zinelabidine Jouini, Josh Reason and Matias Dasso all picked up three-set victories. Reason and Dasso rallied from first-set defeats to win their respective matches.
Against the Gold Rush (6-5), AUM took a 2-1 lead following doubles play. Hewitt and Bence Toth held off the duo of Loic Didavi and Kyle Montrel, 8-5, at the No. 1 position. Grifol and Nicolas Pinones-Halftenhoff won via default at the No. 3 position.
In singles, Grifol won by default at the No. 6 position, while Lalami cruised to a straight-set win at the No. 4 spot. Pinones-Haltenhoff capped the victory with a 6-2, 6-2, win at the second position over Nikita Soifer, the 41st-ranked NAIA singles player according to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA).
The Warhawks will return to action on Wednesday, March 13, when they travel to Boca Raton, Fla., to take on Lynn University. The match is slated to begin at noon.
AUM 9, Graceland 0
AUM 5, Xavier 4
1. Loic Didavi (XAV) def. #6 Tim Hewitt (AUM) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
2. #2 N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUM) def. #41 Nikita Soifer (XAV) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kyle Montrel (XAV) def. Bence Toth (AUM) 6-1, 7-5
4. #39 Victor Svoboda (XAV) def. #33 Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
5. #16 Othmane Lalami (AUM) def. Benjamin Brading (XAV) 6-2, 6-2
6. Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. No player (XAV), by default