NEW ORLEANS ---- Forced to compete with only four players, the third-ranked Auburn Montgomery women's tennis team dropped a 6-3 decision to sixth-ranked Xavier.
The teams split the six matches that took place, but AUM (9-6) was forced to forfeit at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, as well as No. 3 doubles.
William, playing at No. 1 singles for the first time in 2013, defeated eighth-ranked Kourtney Howell 7-5, 6-3 for her third win in four tries against nationally-ranked competitors.
Cunningham moved up to the two spot for the first time this season, and responded to the challenge with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over 32nd-ranked Brion Flowers, winning in her first match against a ranked player.
Hagar Caro also won in singles, defeating Simone-Alyse Ewell in straight sets from the No. 4 position.
Xavier (13-7) won both doubles matches, and also earned a win at No. 3 singles. AUM drops to 6-2 against NAIA top 25 programs.
The Warhawks will attempt to rebound tomorrow morning against the University of New Orleans. Tomorrow's matchup begins at 11 a.m.
1. #2 Tiffany William (AUMW) def. #8 Kourtney Howell (XAV) 7-5, 6-3
2. Chanel Cunningham (AUMW) def. #32 Brion Flowers (XAV) 7-5, 6-1
3. #39 Amanda Materre (XAV) def. Maria Fernanda Vargas (AUMW) 6-3, 6-3
4. Hagar Caro (AUMW) def. Simone-Alyse Ewell (XAV) 7-5, 6-3
5. Amber Brown (XAV) def. No player (AUMW), by default
6. Olivia West (XAV) def. No player (AUMW), by default
3. Amber Brown/Jordyn Goody (XAV) def. No player/No player (AUMW), by default