NEW ORLEANS ---- In a rematch of the championship match at the AUM Spring Invitational held in March, the top-ranked Auburn Montgomery men's tennis team was against able to defeat eighth-ranked Xavier, edging the Gold Rush by a 6-3 margin.
Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff, Tim Hewitt and Bence Toth each registered singles victories over nationally-ranked competitors. Josh Reason also won in singles, while AUM took the No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles matches by forfeit.
Pinones-Haltenhoff won his seventh match out of eight against ranked foes, and his fourth-straight match overall. He defeated fifth-ranked Loic Didavi 7-6 (9-7), 6-0.
Hewitt cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 win over 17th-ranked Nikita Soifer, while Toth also won in straight sets to pick up his first win of 2013 over a nationally-ranked player. Reason improved to 8-0 this spring with his 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Benjamin Brading.
Xavier (11-7) fielded two nationally-ranked doubles teams, and came away with victories in both matches. The Gold Rush also earned a win at No. 3 singles.
AUM (13-3) won its fourth-straight match. The Warhawks are 9-0 against ranked NAIA opponents, and 11-0 overall against NAIA programs.
The Warhawks return to the courts with an 11 a.m. matchup at the University of New Orleans tomorrow morning.
1. #2 N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUM) def. #5 Loic Didavi (XAV) 7-6 (9-7), 6-0
2. #6 Tim Hewitt (AUM) def. #17 Nikita Soifer (XAV) 6-1, 6-2
3. #26 Kyle Montrel (XAV) def. Miguel Grifol (AUM) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Bence Toth (AUM) def. #27 Viktor Svoboda (XAV) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
5. Josh Reason (AUM) def. Benjamin Brading (XAV) 6-2, 6-3
6. #14 Othmane Lalami (AUM) def. No player (XAV), by default
2. #13 Nikita Soifer/Viktor Svoboda (XAV) def. N Pinones-Haltenhoff/Othmane Lalami (AUM) 8-5