MOBILE, Ala. --- The No. 4 Auburn Montgomery women's tennis team began its three-time national championship defense with a 5-0 victory against No. 15 Concordia (Calif.) in the second round on the NAIA Women's Tennis National Championship at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Center.
With the victory, the Warhawks improved to 19-7 overall and extended their winning streak to seven matches. The Eagles ended their season with a 9-12 record.
The Warhawks opened the match by winning all three doubles matches, including taking a pair of victories against nationally-ranked opponents. Following an 8-3 victory by Jade Curtis at Bright Phakamad at the No. 2 position, the tandem of Jade Curtis and Bright Phakamad claimed an 8-5 decision over No. 18 Summer Beaird and Ellie Johnson at the third position. At the top spot, Paula Diaz and Anna Rudolfova upended No. 9 Mona Piller and Ulrike Hahn 8-4.
In singles play, Phakamad coasted past Kristin Lampe with flawless score of 6-0, 6-0. Rudolfova clinched the match with an identical 6-0, 6-0, score against Caitlyn Uzzi. Curtis, Diaz, Cunningham and Lenertz were all ahead in their matches when the deciding point was won.
The Warhawks will take on No. 5 Embry-Riddle (Fla.) in the tournament quarterfinals at noon on Thursday.
2. Jade Curtis/Bright Phakamad (AUMW) def. #18 Summer Beaird/Ellie Johnson (CNDW-CA) 8-5
3. Chanel Cunningham/Celine Lenertz (AUMW) def. Caitlyn Uzzi/Kristin Lampe (CNDW-CA) 8-3
1. #1 Jade Curtis (AUMW) vs. #37 Mona Piller (CNDW-CA) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
2. #31 Paula Diaz (AUMW) vs. #44 Summer Beaird (CNDW-CA) 6-2, unfinished
3. #37 Chanel Cunningham (AUMW) vs. Ulrike Hahn (CNDW-CA) 6-2, 2-0, unfinished
4. Celine Lenertz (AUMW) vs. Ellie Johnson (CNDW-CA) 6-1, 4-0, unfinished
5. Anna Rudolfova (AUMW) def. Caitlyn Uzzi (CNDW-CA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Bright Phakamad (AUMW) def. Kristin Lampe (CNDW-CA) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish:
Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles (6, 5)