MOBILE, Ala. --- One day after being rained out of its NAIA National Tournament opener, the Auburn Montgomery men's tennis team defeated No. 13 Aquinas (Mich.) and No. 10 Bethany (Kan.) Thursday and advanced to the semifinals of the tournament at the Copeland-Cox Tennis Complex.
The Warhawks (24-3) defeated Aquinas 5-1, before earning a 5-2 victory against Bethany.
In their match against Aquinas, the Warhawks opened with a 2-1 lead following doubles, as only the duo of Francisco Mendieta and Josh Reason dropped an 8-5 decision at the No. 1 doubles position.
In singles competition, No. 49 Othmane Lalami pushed AUM's lead to 3-1 after defeating Fisher Sutherland in straight sets. No. 27 Vincent Dubosclard followed at the third position with a 6-1, 6-1 result against Nik Artaev. AUM clinched the match at the No. 6 position, when Reason held on for a 6-4, 1-6, 6-1 victory over Andy Struble.
The second-seeded Warhawks took on the Swedes in the quarterfinals later in the day.
AUM dropped two of the three doubles matches, with its lone victory coming at the No. 3 position, where Miguel Grifol and Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff cruised to an 8-0 win.
Despite the early struggles, the Warhawks picked up three straight-set victories by Grifol, Dubosclard and Reason to force match point. Lalami sealed the win when he rallied from a first-set defeat to overpower Michael Van Den Bogart, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.
AUM will play again tomorrow against No. 3 Georgia Gwinnett in the semifinals at 1 p.m.
SECOND ROUND - Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) 5, Aquinas (Mich.) 1
1. Aaron Hendrick (AQU) vs. N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUMM) 3-6, 1-2, unfinished
2. Kristoff Saari (AQU) vs. Zinelabidine Jouini (AUMM) 5-7, 2-2, unfinished
3. Vincent Dubosclard (AUMM) def. Nik Artaev (AQU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Othmane Lalami (AUMM) def. Fisher Sutherland (AQU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Gunnar Peery (AQU) vs. Miguel Grifol (AUMM) 2-6, 7-5, unfinished
6. Josh Reason (AUMM) def. Andy Struble (AQU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
1. Aaron Hendrick/Nik Artaev (AQU) def. Francisco Mendieta/Josh Reason (AUMM) 8-5
2. Zinelabidine Jouini/Othmane Lalami (AUMM) def. Kristoff Saari/Gunnar Peery (AQU) 8-4
3. Miguel Grifol/N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUMM) def. Fisher Sutherland/Frankie Fischer (AQU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,6)
QUARTERFINALS - Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) 5, Bethany (Kan.) 2
1. Manuel Raga (BETHA) vs. N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUMM) 7-6, 0-1, unfinished
2. Edgardo Tapia (BETHA) vs. Zinelabidine Jouini (AUMM) 4-6, 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
3. Vincent Dubosclard (AUMM) def. Mensford Owusu (BETHA) 6-4, 6-1
4. Othmane Lalami (AUMM) def. M. Van Den Bogart (BETHA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Miguel Grifol (AUMM) def. Amir Rahbar (BETHA) 6-0, 6-1
6. Josh Reason (AUMM) def. Aaron Moses Jr. (BETHA) 7-5, 7-5
1. Manuel Raga/Edgardo Tapia (BETHA) def. Francisco Mendieta/Josh Reason (AUMM) 8-4
2. Mensford Owusu/Aaron Moses Jr. (BETHA) def. Othmane Lalami/Zinelabidine Jouini (AUMM) 9-8
3. Miguel Grifol/N Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUMM) def. M. Van Den Bogart/Tucker Clery (BETHA) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,3,6,4)